Since our little guy is now potty trained and I don’t need to carry around as much gear anymore, I have been researching backpacks and/or messenger bags for him that can hold a change of clothes and snacks for when we are out and about. When looking online for PVC/Phthalate/Lead-Free kids bags, I found a number of companies which offered some really cute bags!
There was only one brand however, of the entire list I researched that manufactures their products here in the US which was an important consideration for us. We definitely try and avoid products made in China as even though they may be certified non-toxic, there have been too many reported quality issues in China that cause me to doubt how safe manufacturing there truly is. At times, we have had to buy Chinese made items when other options don’t exist but in this case, we found a great option by Mimi The Sardine made in the US. Mimi The Sardine is also a small family-owned and woman-run company which is a bonus!
Below is the listing of bags whose brands have indicated that their products are PVC, Phthalate and Lead Free along with the country where they are manufactured:
- Beatrix New York Little Kid Backpacks - China
- Crocodile Creek Kid’s Backpacks – China
- Dabbawalla Backpacks – Taiwan (Dabbawalla indicated that their bags are made at a family owned sewing facility that supports responsible labor wages and fair practices)
- Ecogear Ecozoo Backpacks – I couldn’t find this information on their website but have seen on other “non-official” descriptions that they are made in China. I haven’t heard back from Ecogear on my inquiry. Will update if/when I hear back!
- Fleurville Kids Messenger Bags- China
- Fluf Backpacks – China
- Mimi The Sardine Backpack- USA
For us, Mimi The Sardine is the bag of choice. We love the design choices and their committment to keeping our little munchkins safe! UPDATE: We just found out that Mimi The Sardine has unfortunately recently discontinued their kid’s line of products so get the bags while you can! I just found a few of their styles in stock on a Canadian site (as of August) and they are on sale which will make up for the higher shipping price to the US - http://www.moojoes.com/search.php?search_query=mimi+sardine&x=0&y=0